Ashuelot Tarihi - Tarih

Ashuelot Tarihi - Tarih


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Ashuelot

New Hampshire'da, Sullivan County'deki Ashuelot Pond'da yükselen ve Massachusetts sınırının hemen altındaki Hinsdale'deki Connecticut Nehri'ne boşalana kadar genellikle güneybatı yönünde akan bir nehir.

(SwGbt: d 1,370; 1.255'; b. 35'; dr. 9'; s. 8 k.; a. 4 8" D.sb., 2 60-pdr. Pr, 2 24-pdr. nasıl ., 2 20-pdr.Pr)

Demir gövdeli, çift uçlu, yan tekerlekli bir savaş gemisi olan Ashuelot'un yapım sözleşmesi, Haziran veya Temmuz 1863'te Donald McKay'e verildi. Omurgası, 1864'te Doğu Boston, Mass.'daki tersanesine yatırıldı; ve gemi 22 Temmuz 1865'te denize indirildi. Aynı yılın 30 Kasım'ında Boston Navy Yard'a teslim edildi; ancak, İç Savaş kısa süre önce sona erdiğinden, Donanmanın hizmetlerine olan ihtiyacı azalmıştı. Sonuç olarak, Konfederasyonun sığ nehirlerinde ve kıyı sularında operasyonlar için tasarlanmış olan Ashuelot, 4 Nisan 1866'ya kadar görevlendirilmedi, Comdr. John C. Febiger komuta ediyor.

Bu sıralarda, çift uçlu monitör Miantonomoh'u Avrupa'ya götürmek için Augusta'ya katılmak üzere yeni gambot seçildi. 11'inde Ashuelot, New York'taki müstakbel eşlerine katılmadan önce makinelerini test etmek ve yelkencilik niteliklerini değerlendirmek için yola çıktı. Üç gemi 6 Mayıs'ta bu limandan çıktı ve Kanada sularına yöneldi. Ancak, iki gün dışarıda, Comdr. Küçük görev kuvvetine komuta eden Augusta'lı Alexander Murray, Ashuelot'u Boston'a, Donanma Bakan Yardımcısı Gustavus Vasa Fox'un gelişini beklemek üzere gönderdi. Son zamanlardaki bir suikast girişiminden yara almadan kurtulmuş olmak. Seçkin yolcusuna bindikten sonra Ashuelot yeniden yola çıktı ve Nova Scotia kıyılarına yaklaşmaları engelleyen bir buzdağları alanından geçti; ve 3 Haziran'da Halifax'ta filoya yeniden katıldı. Orada, o zamana kadar Atlantik'i hiç geçmemiş olan gözlemcilerin denize elverişliliğini göstermek isteyen Fox, yolculuk için Miantonomoh'a hareket etti.

Üçlü iki gün sonra denize açıldı ve 16'sında Queenstown, İrlanda'ya ulaştı. Bu limanda, uzun zamandır Uzak Doğu'da görev yapması planlanan Ashuelot, arkadaşlarından ayrılarak Ümit Burnu, Hint Okyanusu ve Malacca Boğazı üzerinden batı Pasifik'e doğru ilerledi. Sonunda 15 Ocak 1867'de Hong Kong'daki Asya Filosuna katıldı ve kariyeri boyunca Doğu sularında görev yaptı.

Double-ender'in ilk unutulmaz görevi, o yılın Nisan ayının başlarında, Kraliyet Donanması'na bağlı HMS Cormorant'ın kaptanının, Birleşik Devletler Filosu komutanı Arka Amiral Henry H. Bell'e, Rover'dan sağ kalanları "aborijinlerin" öldürdüğünü bildirmesiyle başladı. bundan sonra Amerikan ticaret kabuğu, Formosa'nın güney kıyılarının hemen dışındaki kayalara çarpmıştı. Bell, Febiger'e -o zaman Foochow'da- araştırmak için Ashuelot'ta o adaya gitmesini emretti. Savaş gemisi Formosa'dan trajediyi doğrulayan kanıtlarla döndüğünde, Bell suçlu kabile üyelerine karşı cezai bir sefer başlattı, ancak çeşitli Çin antlaşma limanlarındaki Amerikan çıkarlarına bakmak için Ashuelot'u anakara kıyısında bıraktı. Çiftçi, bu görevi 1868'in ilk baharına kadar yerine getirmeye devam etti.

O zamanlar Japonya'da, şogunluğun kaldırılmasını ve Mikado'nun yüksek siyasi gücü üstlenmesini, Ashuelot'u ada imparatorluğuna çekmesini izleyen sivil kargaşalar. 6 Nisan'da Nagazaki'ye ulaştı ve kız kardeşi Amerikan savaşlarıyla birlikte, nesli tükenmekte olan Amerikan vatandaşları ve yabancılara sığınak sağlarken tarafsız kaldı. İlkbaharın sonlarında, kuzey Çin'deki huzursuzluk, Ashuelot'un Asya anakarasına dönmesine neden oldu. 17 Haziran'da denize açıldı ve altı gün sonra Çinli isyancılar tarafından tehdit edilen Tientsin'e ulaştı. Ağustos ayının sonlarında Japonya'ya yelken açana kadar kuzey Çin kıyılarında çalıştı.

Böylece, gambotun Uzak Doğu'daki ilk yılı boyunca yaptığı operasyonlar, hizmetinin geri kalanı için modeli belirledi. Asya kıyıları boyunca ve yakındaki adalar arasında limandan limana taşındı, dünyanın bu bölgesindeki Amerikan varlığını ve gücünü yeniden doğruladı, sık sık sorunlu noktalar aradı, böylece nesli tükenmekte olan Amerikalılar için bir sığınak olarak el altında olabilirdi. diğerleri tehlikede-yerli ve yabancı.

Yıllar geçtikçe, filo, Ashuelot'un nispeten sığ draftından ve onu nehir operasyonlarında daha fazla kullanarak çift uçlu konfigürasyonundan kaynaklanan büyük manevra kabiliyetinden giderek daha fazla yararlandı. Böylece, Haziran 1870'de 10 rahibe de dahil olmak üzere 22 Avrupalının katledilmesinden sonra, Şanghay'dan ayrıldı ve 26 Temmuz'da ulaştığı Pei-Ho'nun ağzına kuzeye ilerledi. Daha sonra o nehre, vahşetin meydana geldiği Tientsin'e yükseldi ve bir sonraki yılın ilkbaharına kadar o antik kentte kaldı. 23 Nisan 1871'de nehrin buzları çözülünce tekrar denize açıldı. O zamandan beri, Ashuelot ve Asya Filosu'nun kardeş savaş gemileri kışı sık sık kuzeydeki bir limanın donmuş sularında kilitli olarak geçirdiler.

Bir sonraki adımı, General Sherman'ın mürettebatının öldürülmesi için tazminat arayan Tuğamiral John Rodgers başkanlığındaki Kore seferine katılması planlandı. O Amerikalı tüccar yelkenlisi, bir ticaret görevi sırasında Taedong Nehri'ndeki bir kumsalda karaya oturmuş ve yakılmıştı. Bununla birlikte, bir araştırma kurulu, Ashuelot'un gövdesinin buzlu ayları boyunca önemli ölçüde hasar gördüğünü ve hem motorunun hem de kazanlarının aktif hizmete devam edebilmesi için büyük onarımlar gerektirdiğini tespit etti. 1871, Kore'nin "Hermit Krallığını" açmak için.

Güneydoğu Çin'deki ciddi huzursuzluk haberi onu Fukien eyaletine gönderdiğinde, Şanghay'daki bahçe işi sonbaharda tamamlanmıştı. 21 Ekim'de Foochow'a geldi ve Şanghay'a geri döndüğü 29 Aralık 1871'e kadar orada kaldı. Ama Mart ayının başlarında, Amoy'daki Amerikan konsolosu ve ekibini Ashuelot adasına götürmek üzere Formosa'ya koşmak için.

Ashuelot, Mayıs 1872'de Japonya'ya gidene kadar Şanghay ve Hong Kong arasındaki Çin kıyılarında faaliyet gösterdi. 1 Haziran'da Nagazaki'ye ulaştı ve kuzey Çin'e taşınmadan önce iki ay boyunca Japon sularında kaldı. Gemi 3 Eylül'de Chefoo'ya ulaştı, iki hafta sonra Tientsin'e ulaştı ve 1873 yazına kadar o civardaki Amerikan çıkarlarını koruyan başka bir göreve başladı.

Vidalı hücumbot Saco tarafından kurtarıldıktan sonra, gemi 5 Temmuz'da Nagazaki'ye doğru yola çıktı ve 1874 baharına kadar Japon sularında çalıştı. Edmund Matthews- Çin'e doğru yola çıktı ve 20 Nisan'da Şanghay'a ulaştı. 3 Mayıs'ta, yan tekerlekli araç, bir isyanı bastırmak ve bölgeyi korumak için Yantic gambotundan sanatta bir Ian'a ve diğer parti savaş gemilerinden birliklere katılmak üzere karaya bir kuvvet gönderdi. o şehirde uluslararası yerleşim.

Beş gün sonra, Ashuelot, Li-Sye Chan Kanalı'nı incelemeye başladı ve - bu görevi tamamladıktan sonra - 16 Mayıs'ta Chinkiang'a geldi. Bunun taotai'si üzerine bir çağrının ardından
Bölge, Matthews kazanmaya yöneldi ve 21'inde Nanking'e ulaştı. Orada, yukarı yöndeki yardımcısının, Formosa'ya yapılan bir Japon seferinin raporlarından derinden rahatsız olduğunu öğrendi ve ona güvence verdi.
ABD'nin işgale katılmadığını söyledi.

Devam eden yükselişi sırasında her durakta -Kiukiang, Wuchang, Hankow, Fow-Kow ve Kweichowfu- geminin kaptanı yerel yetkililerle nezaket alışverişinde bulundu. Ashuelot, Tungting Gölü'nü geçtikten sonra, hızlı akıntının, keskin virajların ve derenin daralmasının ilerlemesini önemli ölçüde yavaşlattığını ve hareketinin zorluğunu ve tehlikesini büyük ölçüde artırdığını buldu. Sonuç olarak, gemi Ichang'a ulaştıktan kısa bir süre sonra, Matthews ve küçük bir subay ve misafir grubu gemiden indi ve gemiyi almaya çalışmasının onun için ihtiyatlı olup olmayacağını belirlemek için Yangtze vadisine doğru sekiz günlük bir yürüyüş yaptı. hala daha yüksek. Kara yolculuğu partiyi Kweifu'ya getirdi. İki günlük bir ziyaretten sonra Amerikalılar, onları nehirden aşağı, Ichang'daki Ashuelot'a geri götüren bir hurdalığa bindiler. Matthews'un dönüş geçişi sırasında boğazları ve akıntıları gözlemlemesi, onu yalnızca özel olarak tasarlanmış ve son derece güçlü çarklı bir buharlı geminin -tekerlekleri bağımsız olarak ayrı motorlarla çalıştırılan- Yangtze'nin yukarı kısmından güvenle geçebileceğine ikna etti.

Böylece Matthews, gemisine döndükten sonra iç yolculuğuna devam etmek yerine, gemiyi denize doğru çevirerek 21 Temmuz'da Şanghay'a ulaştı. Bununla birlikte, Ashuelot'un Şanghay'dan Ichang'a yaptığı keşif yolculuğu, Çin'e kadar neredeyse bin millik sulu bir yol açmıştı - bir tanesi, II. Yantze Devriyesi olarak.

Savaş gemisi 3 Ağustos 1874'te Japonya'ya doğru yola çıktı ve Nagaza'ya ulaştı. 5'inde, ünlü Amerikalı astronom Profesör James Craig Watson tarafından yönetilen ve 8 Aralık'ta Venüs'ün geçişini gözlemlemek için Doğu'ya gönderilen bilim adamlarından oluşan bir grubu beklemek üzere. Astrofizik araştırmalarının bu ünlü liderlerini gemide karşıladıktan sonra, 3 Eylül'de yola çıktı ve beş gün sonra Pei Ho Nehri'ne girdi. 9'unda, gökbilimciler Tientsin'de karaya çıktılar ve karadan geçiş için gözlem noktaları olan Pekin'e gittiler.

Ashuelot, bilgili yolcularını karaya çıkardıktan sonra, Nagazaki'ye doğru yola çıkana kadar 10 Aralık 1874'e kadar Çin sularında faaliyet gösterdi. Ayın 13'ünde geldi ve 19 Haziran 1875'te Şanghay'a gidene kadar faaliyet gösterdiği Japon sularında operasyonlarına devam etti. Ağustos ayının ortalarında, yelkenli vapur, Fisherman's Island'a yakın Swatow'a doğru yola çıktı ve bir grup kurtarma görevlisini korudu. 18 Aralık 1868'de alev alıp Breaker Point açıklarında yaklaşık 25 mil aşağı inen bir Pacific Mail Steamship Company gemisi olan Ja an'ın enkazından hazine kurtarma girişimi. batık hulktan alınan değerli eşyaları ele geçirmeye çalışacaktı.

Ertesi bahar, hücumbot, Ban gko ok'taki Amerikan konsolosunun keyfi eyleminin, genç Tay hükümdarı IV. Rodgers ve Hammerstein müzikal komedisi "The King and I" tarafından ölümsüzleştirilen Chao Fa Mongkut, Amerika Birleşik Devletleri Centennial Exposition'da sergilenmek üzere. O, 23 Nisan 1876'da Bangkok'a ulaştı ve Matthews orada iki haftadan fazla zamanını diplomatik nezaket alışverişi yapmak ve hem Amerikalı hem de Siyamlı insanları durum hakkında sorgulamak arasında bölerek geçirdi. Ashuelot, 9 Mayıs'ta Çin'in Cochin kentine doğru yola çıktı ve dört gün sonra Saig'e ulaştı. Orada, Matthews, yüksek elli Amerikalı diplomatın diplomatik olmaktan uzak olduğunu bildirdi. Daha sonra Bangkok'a döndü, sergiyi gemiye aldı ve Saigon üzerinden Hong Kong'a taşıdı ve burada onu Amerika Birleşik Devletleri'ne götüren bir tüccara transfer edildi.

Takip eden yıllarda zaman zaman, savaş gemisi, Çin ve Japonya'nın antlaşma limanlarını ziyaret etmenin yanı sıra Siam'a döndü. Japonya, Batı Pasifik'teki Formosa ve Ryukyus gibi adaların işlerinde daha aktif hale geldikçe, Çin İmparatoruna uzun süredir haraç ödeyen iki ülke arasındaki ilişkiler giderek gerginleşiyordu. İki ülke arasındaki müzakereler 1877 yazının sonlarında daha da gerginleştiğinde, Ashuelot 13 Ağustos'ta vardığı Chefoo'ya gitti. Sonbahara kadar orada kaldı, savaş veya aile içi kargaşanın patlak vermesi durumunda çevredeki Amerikan vatandaşlarına yardım etmeye hazırdı. 7 Ekim'de Nagazaki'den yola çıktı ve 10'unda vardığı Tientsin'e doğru yola çıktı.

Gerginlik biraz gevşediğinde, savaş gemisi 21 Kasım 1877'de güneye doğru yola çıktı ve altı gün sonra onarım için Şanghay'a geldi. 1878 baharında Nagazaki'ye döndü ve Aralık 1878'de Filipinler'i ve Ocak 1879'da Siam'ı ziyaret etmeden önce ek onarımlar için 1 Kasım'da güney Çin'e dönene kadar Japon sularında çalıştı.

O yılın baharı Ashuelot'a daha ilginç görevlerinden birini getirdi. 30 Nisan'da General Ulysses S. Grant ve gemideki grupla birlikte Irrawaddy vapuru Hong Kong limanına girdi. Beyaz Saray'dan yaklaşık iki yıl önce ayrıldıktan sonra, eski Başkan dünyayı dolaşmaya başlamıştı; ve eve gitmeden önce Çin ve Japonya'yı ziyaret etmek istedi. Ashuelot gemi giydirdi ve eski Başkomutanının onuruna tersaneleri yönetti. Kısa bir süre sonra Grant, kendisini Çin sularındayken taşımakla suçlanan gambotu kısaca ziyaret etti. 5 Mayıs'ta ona geri döndü ve onu Kanton ve Makao'ya götürdü. Ayın 10'unda Hong Kong'a döndü ve o İngiliz kraliyet kolonisinde iki son gün için karaya çıktı.

General ve ekibi ayın 12'sinde shi'ye döndü ve o, 17'sinde ulaştığı Şanghay yolunda Swato Amoy'u ziyaret etmek için denize açıldı. Oradaki altı günlük bir ziyaretin sonunda Grant, Ashuelot'a yeniden gemiye bindi; ve onu Pei Ho Nehri'nin ağzına götürdü ve ardından Tientsin'e kadar olan haliçte tekrar gemiyi terk etti ve küçük teknelerle Çin İmparatorluğu'nu naip olarak yöneten Prens Kung ile görüşmeler için Pekin'e gitti. Yaşlı İmparator yetişkinliğe doğru büyüyordu. Görüşmeleri sırasında Prens, Hibe Çin'in Japonya ile Ryukyu Adaları'nın kontrolü konusundaki anlaşmazlığı konusundaki tutumunu açıkladı ve generalin Japonya'ya yapacağı ziyaret sırasında konuyla ilgili olarak iyi niyetlerini istedi. Pekin'den ayrıldıktan sonra Grant, nehrin ağzına geçmek için Ashuelot'a bindiği Tientsin'e döndü. Orada, savaşın vidası, Grant'i Japonya'ya götürmeyi bekliyordu.

15 Haziran'da Ashuelot yola çıktı ve Chefoo üzerinden Nagasaki'ye ilerledi. Çin'e döndüğü sonbahara kadar Japon sularında çalıştı.

O zamana kadar, yıllar savaş gemisine o kadar çok zarar vermişti ki, filoda "hırdavatçının umudu" olarak tanınmaya başladı. Yine de, onun yerine geçecek kimse bulunmadığından, Asya Filosu'nda tutuldu ve daha fazla hizmet için yamalı. 10 Ekim 1879'da Şanghay'a geldi ve 1880 baharı boyunca kapsamlı onarımlardan geçerek orada kaldı.

Ashuelot, 20 Haziran'da Şanghay'dan ayrıldı ve 23'ünde Nagazaki'ye ulaştı. Sonraki iki buçuk yıl boyunca Çin kıyılarında, Yangtze'de ve Japonya'nın anlaşmalı limanları arasında faaliyet gösterdi. 17 Şubat 1883'te, savaş gemisi Amoy'dan ayrıldı ve Swatow'a doğru bir rota belirledi. Ertesi sabah şafaktan önce yoğun sisin içinde ilerlerken, Ashuelot East Lamock Adası açıklarında bir kayaya çarptı ve o kadar ağır hasar aldı ki terk edilmesi gerekti. On bir adam gemiyle birlikte telef oldu.


Ashuelot Tarihi - Tarih

Müze saatleri: Çarşamba - Pazar: 11:00 - 16:00.

Tarih

Keene şehri, New Hampshire, Ashuelot Nehri vadisinde yer alır ve yedi tepe ile çevrilidir. Bu doğal coğrafya, 1800'lerin başında gelişen tekstil endüstrisi için mükemmeldi. Ashuelot Nehri, yeni sanayi devriminin makinelerini çalıştırmak için su gücünü sağladı ve böylece Keene'de değirmen endüstrisi gelişti. Düz arazi, ekilmesi en kolay olanıydı, ancak Keene'yi çevreleyen sarp, kayalık tepeleri sürmek imkansızdı. Ancak koyunlar için mükemmel otlatma sağladılar ve koyunlar yünlü kumaş üretimi için hammadde sağladı. 19. yüzyılın ortalarında, demiryolu Ortabatı'daki çiftlik arazilerine erişim sağladı, sonuç olarak yerel koyun çiftlikleri ortadan kalkmaya başladı.

Horatio Colony Doğa Koruma Alanı'nın hikayesi, 1892'de Horatio'nun büyükbabası Horatio Colony I'in Keene'deki West Hill'de 132 dönümlük terk edilmiş koyun meralarından oluşan Japhet Parker çiftliğini satın almasıyla başladı. Colony ailesi kısa süre sonra kuzey yamacın tepesine Tip-Top House'u inşa etti; burada birçok Pazar öğleden sonralarını Keene'nin engin manzarasının ve yalnızlığın tadını çıkararak geçirdikleri bir yaz kulübesi. Horatio Topraktan o kadar keyif aldım ki, ona ekledi. 1892 ile 1925 arasında, bugün doğa koruma alanını oluşturan şeyleri bir araya getirerek dokuz parsel daha satın aldı.

Horatio Colony II, West Hill holdingini devraldı. New England ormanlarına ve yaban hayatına büyük saygı duyarak ormanın doğal olarak yenilenmesine izin verdi. Yazma çalışmalarına huzur ve yalnızlık sağlamak için 1938'de yaptırdığı kulübe, halen doğa koruma alanına giriş yolunun kenarında duruyor. Severek büyüdüğü ormandaki bu sığınak, Horatio'ya hayatı boyunca ilham kaynağı oldu.

Bu eşsiz ekolojik kaynağı koruma arzusu, arazisini bir yaban hayatı koruma alanı ve doğa araştırması olarak, sonsuza kadar eğitim ve araştırma amaçlı kullanılmak üzere ayırmasına neden oldu.

Doğa koruma alanı şu anda 645 dönümdür ve halka açık olan 5 millik bir parkur kompleksi vardır.


Ashuelot Tarihi - Tarih

New Hampshire'da, Sullivan County'deki Ashuelot Pond'da yükselen ve Massachusetts sınırının hemen altındaki Hinsdale'deki Connecticut Nehri'ne boşalana kadar genellikle güneybatı yönünde akan bir nehir.

(SwGbt: d 1,370 1. 255' b. 35' dr. 9' s. 8 k. a. 4 8" D.sb., 2 60-pdr. P.r., 2 24-pdr. nasıl., 2 20-pdr. P.r.)

Demir gövdeli, çift uçlu, yan tekerlekli bir savaş gemisi olan Ashuelot'un yapımına ilişkin sözleşme, Haziran veya Temmuz 1863'te Donald McKay'e verildi. Omurgası 1864'te East Boston, Mass.'daki tersanesine yatırıldı ve gemi 22 Temmuz 1865'te denize indirildi. O yılın 30 Kasım'ında Boston Navy Yard'a teslim edildi, ancak İç Savaş son zamanlarda patlak verdiği için sona erdi, donanmanın hizmetlerine olan ihtiyacı azaldı. Sonuç olarak, Konfederasyonun sığ nehirlerinde ve kıyı sularında operasyonlar için tasarlanmış olan Ashuelot, 4 Nisan 1866'ya kadar görevlendirilmedi, Komutan. John C. Febiger komuta ediyor.

Bu sıralarda, çift uçlu monitör Miantonomoh'u Avrupa'ya götürmek için Augusta'ya katılmak üzere yeni hücumbot seçildi. 11'inde Ashuelot, New York'taki müstakbel eşlerine katılmadan önce makinelerini test etmek ve yelkencilik niteliklerini değerlendirmek için yola çıktı. Üç gemi 6 Mayıs'ta bu limandan çıktı ve Kanada sularına yöneldi. Ancak, iki gün dışarıda, Comdr. Küçük görev kuvvetine komuta eden Augusta'lı Alexander Murray, Ashuelot'u Donanma Bakan Yardımcısı Gustavus Vasa Fox'un gelişini beklemek üzere Boston'a gönderdi. Son zamanlardaki bir suikast girişiminden yara almadan kurtulmuş olmak. Seçkin yolcusuna bindikten sonra Ashuelot tekrar yola çıktı, Nova Scotia kıyılarına yaklaşmaları engelleyen bir buzdağları alanından geçerek 3 Haziran'da Halifax'taki filoya yeniden katıldı. Orada, o zamana kadar Atlantik'i hiç geçmemiş olan gözlemcilerin denize elverişliliğini göstermek isteyen Fox, yolculuk için Miantonomoh'a hareket etti.

Üçlü iki gün sonra denize açıldı ve 16'sında Queenstown, İrlanda'ya ulaştı. Bu limanda, uzun zamandır Uzak Doğu'da görev yapması planlanan Ashuelot, arkadaşlarından ayrılarak Ümit Burnu, Hint Okyanusu ve Malacca Boğazı üzerinden batı Pasifik'e doğru ilerledi. Sonunda 15 Ocak 1867'de Hong Kong'daki Asya Filosuna katıldı ve kariyeri boyunca Doğu sularında görev yaptı.

Çifte-ender'in ilk unutulmaz görevi, o yılın Nisan ayının başlarında, Kraliyet Donanması'na bağlı HMS Karabatak'ın kaptanının, Birleşik Devletler Filosu komutanı Arka Amiral Henry H. Bell'e, bundan sonra Rover'dan sağ kalanları "kotaborjinlerin" öldürdüğünü bildirmesiyle başladı. Amerikan tüccar kabuğu, Formosa'nın güney kıyılarının hemen dışındaki kayalara çarpmıştı. Bell, Febiger'e -o zaman Foochow'da- araştırmak için Ashuelot'ta o adaya gitmesini emretti. Savaş gemisi Formosa'dan trajediyi doğrulayan kanıtlarla döndüğünde, Bell suçlu kabile üyelerine karşı cezai bir sefer başlattı, ancak çeşitli Çin antlaşma limanlarındaki Amerikan çıkarlarına bakmak için Ashuelot'u anakara kıyısında bıraktı. Çiftçi, bu görevi 1868'in ilk baharına kadar yerine getirmeye devam etti.

O zamanlar Japonya'da, şogunluğun kaldırılmasını ve Mikado'nun yüksek siyasi gücü üstlenmesini, Ashuelot'u ada imparatorluğuna çekmesini izleyen sivil kargaşalar. 6 Nisan'da Nagazaki'ye ulaştı ve kız kardeşi Amerikan savaşlarıyla birlikte, nesli tükenmekte olan Amerikan vatandaşları ve yabancılara sığınak sağlarken tarafsız kaldı. İlkbaharın sonlarında, kuzey Çin'deki huzursuzluk Ashuelot'un Asya anakarasına dönmesine neden oldu. 17 Haziran'da denize açıldı ve altı gün sonra Çinli isyancılar tarafından tehdit edilen Tientsin'e ulaştı. Ağustos ayının sonlarında Japonya'ya yelken açana kadar kuzey Çin kıyılarında çalıştı.

Böylece, gambotun Uzak Doğu'daki ilk yılı boyunca yaptığı operasyonlar, hizmetinin geri kalanı için modeli belirledi. Asya kıyıları boyunca ve yakındaki adalar arasında limandan limana taşındı, dünyanın o bölgesindeki Amerikan varlığını ve gücünü yeniden doğruladı, sık sık sorunlu noktalar aradı, böylece nesli tükenmekte olan Amerikalılar için bir sığınak olarak el altında olabilirdi. diğerleri tehlikede-yerli ve yabancı.

Yıllar geçtikçe, filo, Ashuelot'un nispeten sığ draftından ve onu nehir operasyonlarında daha fazla kullanarak çift uçlu konfigürasyonundan kaynaklanan büyük manevra kabiliyetinden giderek daha fazla yararlandı. Böylece, Haziran 1870'de 10 rahibe de dahil olmak üzere 22 Avrupalının katledilmesinden sonra, Şanghay'dan ayrıldı ve 26 Temmuz'da ulaştığı Pei-Ho'nun ağzına kuzeye ilerledi. Daha sonra o nehre, vahşetin meydana geldiği Tientsin'e yükseldi ve bir sonraki yılın ilkbaharına kadar o antik kentte kaldı. 23 Nisan 1871'de nehrin buzları çözülünce tekrar denize açıldı. O zamandan beri, Ashuelot ve Asya Filosu'nun kardeş savaş gemileri kışı sık sık kuzeydeki bir limanın donmuş sularında kilitli olarak geçirdiler.

Bir sonraki adımı, General Sherman'ın mürettebatının öldürülmesi için tazminat arayan Tuğamiral John Rodgers başkanlığındaki Kore seferine katılmaktı. O Amerikalı tüccar yelkenlisi, bir ticaret görevi sırasında Taedong Nehri'ndeki bir kumsalda karaya oturmuş ve yakılmıştı. Ancak, bir araştırma kurulu, Ashuelot'un gövdesinin buzlu ayları boyunca önemli ölçüde hasar gördüğünü ve aktif hizmete devam edebilmesi için hem motorunun hem de kazanlarının büyük onarımlar gerektirdiğini tespit etti. 1871, Kore'nin "Hermit Krallığı"nı açmak için.

Güneydoğu Çin'deki ciddi huzursuzluk haberi onu Fukien eyaletine gönderdiğinde, Şanghay'daki bahçe işi sonbaharda tamamlanmıştı. 21 Ekim'de Foochow'a geldi ve Şanghay'a geri döndüğü 29 Aralık 1871'e kadar orada kaldı. Ama Amoy'daki Amerikan konsolosu ve ekibini Ashuelot adasına götürmek için Mart ayının başlarında Formosa'ya koşmak için.

Ashuelot, Mayıs 1872'de Japonya'ya gidene kadar Şanghay ve Hong Kong arasındaki Çin kıyısı boyunca faaliyet gösterdi. 1 Haziran'da Nagazaki'ye ulaştı ve kuzey Çin'e taşınmadan önce iki ay boyunca Japon sularında kaldı. Gemi 3 Eylül'de Chefoo'ya ulaştı, iki hafta sonra Tientsin'e ulaştı ve 1873 yazına kadar o civardaki Amerikan çıkarlarını koruyan başka bir göreve başladı.

Vidalı hücumbot Saco tarafından kurtarıldıktan sonra, gemi 5 Temmuz'da Nagazaki'ye doğru yola çıktı ve 1874 baharına kadar Japon sularında çalıştı. Edmund Matthews- Çin'e doğru yola çıktı ve 20 Nisan'da Şanghay'a ulaştı. 3 Mayıs'ta, yan tekerlekli araç, bir isyanı bastırmak ve bölgeyi korumak için Yantic gambotundan sanatta bir Ian'a ve diğer parti savaş gemilerinden birliklere katılmak üzere karaya bir kuvvet gönderdi. o şehirde uluslararası yerleşim.

Beş gün sonra, Ashuelot, Li-Sye Chan Kanalı'nı incelemeye başladı ve - bu görevi tamamladıktan sonra - 16 Mayıs'ta Chinkiang'a geldi. Bunun taotai'si üzerine bir çağrının ardından
Bölge, Matthews kazanmaya yöneldi ve 21'inde Nanking'e ulaştı. Orada, yukarı yöndeki yardımcısının, Formosa'ya yapılan bir Japon seferinin raporlarından derinden rahatsız olduğunu öğrendi ve ona güvence verdi.
ABD'nin işgale katılmadığını söyledi.

Devam eden yükselişi sırasında her durakta -Kiukiang, Wuchang, Hankow, Fow-Kow ve Kweichowfu- geminin kaptanı yerel yetkililerle nezaket alışverişinde bulundu. Ashuelot, Tungting Gölü'nü geçtikten sonra, hızlı akıntının, keskin virajların ve derenin daralmasının ilerlemesini önemli ölçüde yavaşlattığını ve hareketinin zorluğunu ve tehlikesini büyük ölçüde artırdığını buldu. Sonuç olarak, gemi Ichang'a ulaştıktan kısa bir süre sonra, Matthews ve küçük bir subay ve misafir grubu gemiden indi ve gemiyi almaya çalışmasının onun için ihtiyatlı olup olmayacağını belirlemek için Yangtze vadisine doğru sekiz günlük bir yürüyüş yaptı. hala daha yüksek. Kara yolculuğu partiyi Kweifu'ya getirdi. İki günlük bir ziyaretten sonra Amerikalılar, onları nehirden aşağı, Ichang'daki Ashuelot'a geri götüren bir hurdalığa bindiler. Matthews'un dönüş geçişi sırasında boğazları ve akıntıları gözlemlemesi, onu yalnızca özel olarak tasarlanmış ve son derece güçlü çarklı bir buharlı geminin -tekerlekleri bağımsız olarak ayrı motorlarla çalıştırılan- Yangtze'nin yukarı kısmından güvenle geçebileceğine ikna etti.

Böylece Matthews, gemisine döndükten sonra iç yolculuğuna devam etmek yerine, gemiyi denize doğru çevirerek 21 Temmuz'da Şanghay'a ulaştı. Yine de, Ashuelot'un Şanghay'dan Ichang'a yaptığı keşif yolculuğu, Çin'e kadar neredeyse bin millik sulu bir yol açmıştı; bunlardan biri, II. Yantze Devriyesi olarak.

Savaş gemisi 3 Ağustos 1874'te Japonya'ya doğru yola çıktı ve Nagaza'ya ulaştı. 5'inde, ünlü Amerikalı astronom Profesör James Craig Watson tarafından yönetilen ve 8 Aralık'ta Venüs'ün geçişini gözlemlemek için Doğu'ya gönderilen bilim adamlarından oluşan bir grubu beklemek üzere. Astrofizik araştırmalarının bu ünlü liderlerini gemide karşıladıktan sonra, 3 Eylül'de yola çıktı ve beş gün sonra Pei Ho Nehri'ne girdi. 9'unda, gökbilimciler Tientsin'de karaya çıktılar ve karadan geçiş için gözlem noktaları olan Pekin'e gittiler.

Ashuelot, bilgili yolcularını karaya çıkardıktan sonra, Nagazaki'ye doğru yola çıkana kadar 10 Aralık 1874'e kadar Çin sularında faaliyet gösterdi. Ayın 13'ünde geldi ve 19 Haziran 1875'te Şanghay'a gidene kadar faaliyet gösterdiği Japon sularında operasyonlarına devam etti. Ağustos ayının ortalarında, yelkenli vapur, Fisherman's Island'a yakın Swatow'a doğru yola çıktı ve bir grup kurtarma görevlisini korudu. Pasifik Posta Buharlı Gemi Şirketi gemisi Ja an'ın 18 Aralık 1868'de alev alıp Breaker Point açıklarında yaklaşık 25 mil aşağı inen enkazından hazine kurtarma girişimi. batık hulktan alınan değerli eşyaları ele geçirmeye çalışacaktı.

Ertesi bahar, hücumbot, Ban gko ok'taki Amerikan konsolosunun keyfi eyleminin, genç Tay hükümdarı IV. Rodgers ve Hammerstein müzikal komedisi "Kral ve Ben" tarafından ölümsüzleştirilen Chao Fa Mongkut, Amerika Birleşik Devletleri Centennial Exposition'da sergilenmek üzere. O, 23 Nisan 1876'da Bangkok'a ulaştı ve Matthews orada iki haftadan fazla zamanını diplomatik nezaket alışverişi yapmak ve hem Amerikalı hem de Siyamlı insanları durum hakkında sorgulamak arasında bölerek geçirdi. Ashuelot, 9 Mayıs'ta Çin'in Cochin kentine doğru yola çıktı ve dört gün sonra Saig'e ulaştı. Orada, Matthews, yüksek elli Amerikalı diplomatın diplomatik olmaktan uzak olduğunu bildirdi. Daha sonra Bangkok'a döndü, sergiyi gemiye aldı ve Saigon üzerinden Hong Kong'a taşıdı ve burada Amerika Birleşik Devletleri'ne götüren bir tüccara transfer edildi.

Takip eden yıllarda zaman zaman, savaş gemisi, Çin ve Japonya'nın antlaşma limanlarını ziyaret etmenin yanı sıra Siam'a döndü. Japonya, Batı Pasifik'teki Formosa ve Ryukyus gibi adaların işlerinde daha aktif hale geldikçe, Çin İmparatoruna uzun süredir haraç ödeyen iki ülke arasındaki ilişkiler giderek gerginleşiyordu. İki ülke arasındaki müzakereler 1877 yazının sonlarında daha da gerginleşince, Ashuelot 13 Ağustos'ta vardığı Chefoo'ya gitti. Sonbahara kadar orada kaldı, savaş veya aile içi kargaşanın patlaması durumunda çevredeki Amerikan vatandaşlarına yardım etmeye hazırdı. 7 Ekim'de Nagazaki'den yola çıktı ve 10'unda vardığı Tientsin'e doğru yola çıktı.

Gerginlik biraz gevşediğinde, savaş gemisi 21 Kasım 1877'de güneye doğru yola çıktı ve altı gün sonra onarım için Şanghay'a geldi. 1878 baharında Nagazaki'ye döndü ve Aralık 1878'de Filipinler'i ve Ocak 1879'da Siam'ı ziyaret etmeden önce ek onarımlar için 1 Kasım'da güney Çin'e dönene kadar Japon sularında çalıştı.

O yılın baharı Ashuelot'a daha ilginç görevlerinden birini getirdi. 30 Nisan'da General Ulysses S. Grant ve gemideki grubuyla birlikte Irrawaddy vapuru Hong Kong limanına girdi. İki yıl kadar önce Beyaz Saray'dan ayrıldıktan sonra, eski Başkan dünyayı dolaşmaya başlamıştı ve eve gitmeden önce Çin ve Japonya'yı ziyaret etmek istiyordu. Ashuelot gemi giydirdi ve eski Başkomutanının onuruna tersaneleri yönetti. Kısa bir süre sonra Grant, kendisini Çin sularındayken taşımakla suçlanan gambotu kısaca ziyaret etti. 5 Mayıs'ta ona geri döndü ve onu Kanton ve Makao'ya götürdü. Ayın 10'unda Hong Kong'a döndü ve o İngiliz kraliyet kolonisinde iki son gün için karaya çıktı.

General ve ekibi ayın 12'sinde shi'ye döndü ve o, 17'sinde ulaştığı Şanghay yolunda Swato Amoy'u ziyaret etmek için denize açıldı. At the end of a six-day visit there, Grant reembarked in Ashuelot and she took him to the mouth of the Pei Ho River and then up that estuary to Tientsin where he again left the ship and proceeded by small boats to Peking for discussions with Prince Kung who ruled the Chinese Empire as regent while the seven-year-old Emperor was growing to adulthood. During their meetings, the Prince explained to Grant China's position on its dispute with Japan over control of the Ryukyu Islands and requested his good offices in regard to the matter during the general's forthcoming visit to Japan. After leaving Peking, Grant returned to Tientsin where he boarded Ashuelot for passage to the mouth of the river. There, the screw sloop of war awaited to take Grant to Japan.

On 15 June, Ashuelot got underway and proceeded via Chefoo to Nagasaki. She operated in Japanese waters until autumn when she returned to China.

By that time the years had taken their toll on the gunboat-so much so that she had come to be known throughout the squadron as "the ironmonger's hope." Nevertheless, since no replacement for her was availabl, she was retained in the Asiatic Squadron and patched up for further service. She arrived at Shanghai on 10 October 1879 and remained there undergoing extensive repairs through the spring of 1880.

Ashuelot departed Shanghai on 20 June of that ear and reached Nagasaki on the 23d. For the next two and one-half years, she operated along the coast of China, up the Yangtze, and among the treaty ports of Japan. On 17 February 1883, the gunboat departed Amoy and set a course for Swatow. While she was proceeding through heavy fog before dawn the next morning, Ashuelot struck a rock off East Lamock Island and suffered such severe damage that she had to be abandoned. Eleven men perished with the ship.


The Ashuelot River

Southwestern New Hampshire’s hidden gem provides a variety of habitats for and an even more impressive list of fish species.

How would you like to fish a river that provides 60-plus miles of varied habitats and hosts an even more impressive list of fish species? From swift trout riffles, deep holes, long runs, and warmwater ponds, this river has options for both fly- and spin-fishermen to catch bass, pickerel, trout, walleye, and catfish. Sound like a place you’d like to visit? Then look no further than the Ashuelot River in southwestern New Hampshire.

Tarih

For hundreds of years, communities relied on the Ashuelot River to produce power for textile manufacturing and wood plants. Some locals can still remember when the color of the river changed with what the local mills were manufacturing. According to the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services, 12 Native American historical sites have been found along the Ashuelot River, including the oldest known evidence of humans in New Hampshire dating back 10,500 years.

The Gilsum Stone Arch Bridge marks the beginning of a great section of spring trout water along “River Road” between Route 10 in Gilsum and Route 12A in Surry.

The Ashuelot River has played an important role in the restoration of anadromous fish to the Connecticut River Basin. Three dams between Swanzey and Hinsdale have been removed in the past 15 years to allow anadromous fish access to historical spawning habitat and provide resident fish species with easy upstream and downstream movement. Until the Atlantic Salmon Restoration Program ended in 2012, an average of 121,000 salmon fry was stocked into the Ashuelot Watershed each year. The river continues to be an important focus area for American shad and American eel, and the river was listed as a Designated River in 1993, and has been recognized by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as one of the four most important areas for the dwarf wedge mussel, a federally endangered species.

Trout

It’s no surprise that trout are the most popular species in the Ashuelot. Each year, the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department stocks almost 10,000 rainbow and brown trout into the Ashuelot. Approximately 4,000 of each species are stocked upstream of Surry Mountain Lake in the towns of Marlow, Gilsum, and Surry. Downstream of Surry Mountain Lake, a total of 900 of each species are stocked in the towns of Swanzey and Winchester. Additionally, the South Branch of the Ashuelot receives 2,500 brown trout each year in the towns of Troy and Swanzey, and contains a fly-fishing-only section that holds fish well into the fall.

Occasionally, I have caught wild brookies in the main stem during spring, but warm water temperatures tend to keep them from using most of the main river. Although the section of river between Butterfield Pond and Ashuelot Pond is not stocked with trout, I have heard of wild brook trout being caught in this area.

Fish the Ashuelot River above and below the picturesque Village Pond in Marlow for spring trout opportunities.

Sections along Washington Pond Road and below the Village Pond in Marlow are good places to hit for stocked trout, as are areas along Route 10 in Marlow and Gilsum.

The section between Route 10 in Gilsum and Route 12A in Surry is a must for early-season trout anglers. The river parallels the road for quite a length between these two larger routes. Locals call it “River Road”, but the real name is Surry Road or Gilsum Road, depending on which town you are in at the time. There are plenty of riffles and runs to fish, and a really nice bend pool where Gilsum Road meets Route 12A. Dort Road off Route 12A in Surry gives anglers access to some nice water as well.

Once the river enters Surry Mountain Lake, trout fishing doesn’t pick up again until the general area of Coombs Bridge in Swanzey. This location gets a limited number of browns and is a slow moving piece of water, best suited for kayak or canoe fishing. The location of the former dam in the center of Winchester can provide some fast action soon after stocking.

Fishing gets good again in the riffles and runs on either side of the Ashuelot Covered Bridge along Route 119 in the Village of Ashuelot. Sections between the two upper dams on Route 119 and below the lower of these two dams can provide some excellent opportunities for trout. Riffles, runs, and some deep pools provide great trout habitat and are loaded with aquatic insects, minnows, and crayfish. Be careful, as the water is dark with large boulders that are easy to slip on. This is a great spot for fly-anglers and a good location to find holdover trout.

Looking upstream at the Fiske Mill Dam in Hinsdale, the lowermost dam on the Ashuelot River. Walleye, smallmouth bass, and brown trout are found between the dam and the confluence with the Connecticut River.

The section below the Fiske Mill Dam in the center of Hinsdale to the confluence with the Connecticut River is the mostly likely spot to find big brown trout. The farther downstream you go, the more prevalent deep water becomes. I once saw two anglers in this stretch catch a 5- and a 7-pound brown trout within an hour.

The lower river was never stocked with trout until a local angler named Roger Blair approached me in 2002 with the idea of making this section a great trout fishery. After a number of discussions, a trip or two to examine the habitat and forage base, and a summer of water temperature data, I agreed to give stocking there a try. Blair kept an angler diary in 2003 and 2004 that showed great results and holdover trout present the year after the initial stocking. Even though it receives fewer trout than locations above Surry Mountain Lake, I believe the lower river gives anglers the best chance for larger holdover trout.

Warmwater Fish

Greg Spicher with a nice largemouth bass from May Pond. Both May and Ashuelot ponds offer excellent largemouth fishing.

May and Butterfield Ponds, located in Pillsbury State Park in the town of Washington, are relatively shallow, with a total area of about 150 acres. Boat traffic is usually minimal and although pickerel and hornpout are present, most anglers pursue largemouth bass there.

Ashuelot Pond (aka Washington Pond) in the town of Washington is popular with area bass anglers. A gravel ramp with parking for four trailers provides access to this 368-acre water body. With an average depth of 8 feet and a maximum depth of 26 feet, the lake offers varied habitats with abundant aquatic vegetation most years. Species of interest include largemouth bass, pickerel, yellow perch, hornpout, and sunfish. This pond is also popular with ice anglers.

Surry Mountain Lake in Surry is a 350-acre impoundment created for flood control in 1941 by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. It is relatively shallow, with an average depth of 5 feet and a maximum depth of 14 feet. A boat launch and swimming area are available for a nominal fee, as are campsites. Despite its prevalence of shallow water, I have seen pictures of several largemouth bass caught there that topped 6 pounds. Pickerel, black crappie, and big bluegill can all be found here and a popular winter fishery exists. The place is loaded with stunted yellow perch, so firetiger lure patterns are a good choice.

Smallmouth bass in the lower Ashuelot River get bigger the closer you get to the confluence with the Connecticut River.

Fishing for warmwater species below Surry Mountain Lake is hit or miss until you reach the lower river in Winchester. That being said, the area right below the Colony Mill Dam on West Street in Keene can sometimes be good for pickerel and sunfish, and I have caught smallmouth bass and some massive fallfish in the Westport Rapids sections in Swanzey.

Some fast smallmouth bass action can be had between the two upper dams on Route 119 in Winchester and below the lower of these two dams. I’ve never caught anything over 14 inches in that section, but the bass are a lot of fun on a light spinning or fly rod. Inline spinners or small spinnerbaits are a good lure choice, as are Muddler Minnows and bead-head Wooly Buggers for fly anglers.

A Rapala X-Rap fooled this Ashuelot River walleye. The lower river can produce some great walleye fishing.

Depending on time of year, the section from the Fiske Mill Dam in Hinsdale to the confluence with the Connecticut River can be great for smallmouth bass and walleye, with the occasional largemouth thrown in for good measure. Do your homework on this section because some areas can be fished from shore, some by wading, and others only by boat. The mouth of the Ashuelot River, in particular, is a great location for walleye and smallmouth bass in spring, and for channel catfish in summer.

Jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs tipped with curly tail grubs, and crankbaits have all served me well in this section. Last May, the Ashuelot was running high and muddy after a quick rainstorm, and I caught a spawned-out 19-inch walleye and a 15-inch brown trout on consecutive casts with a Rapala Husky Jerk, just feet from shore. I have also caught smallmouth bass up to 4 pounds and have seen walleye in excess of 6 pounds in this area of the river.

Regardless of your proximity to the Ashuelot River, it is worth your time to explore it, whether for an afternoon or several days. The variable habitat and multitude of species are enough to keep any angler interested and challenged.


Ashuelot River Mural

The city of Keene was once part of a large glacial lake bed known as Ashuelot Lake. Today, what remains is a 64-mile river spanning through Cheshire County from northeast to southwest and emptying into the Connecticut River at Hinsdale. “Ashuelot” is an Abenaki word meaning “place between” or “collection of many waters” or “place between the waters.” It was an important source for transportation and fishing for thousands of years.

By the early 18th century, the river provided a natural travel route for European settlers. Another reason that the river valleys were settled early was because they offered rich soil for farming and most of the early settlers were farmers. This is especially true in Keene, which was originally named “Upper Ashuelot” for the river. Swanzey, NH, just south of Keene was first named “Lower Ashuelot.”

Towns situated near the Ashuelot river, such as Keene, Swanzey, and Winchester, typically grew into regional hubs of commerce, industry and finance. Many industries of the day were dependent upon the river to power their mills. The Faulkner & Colony textile mill (est. 1815 and depicted in the mural), once situated alongside the river at West Street, became one of the town’s largest employers, for example.

Since the mid-to-late 1800s, the river has been a source of recreational activities for townspeople including swimming, fishing, ice skating, and boating. Marked trails wind their way along the river in Keene and the Ashuelot River Park is a popular spot for visitors.

The river is also an important wildlife habitat. The rare dwarf wedge mussel, blue heron, raptors, bald eagle, blue-gray gnatcatcher, loon, nighthawk, and other birds are all found along the river.

The poem seen off to the side of this mural is one that comes from a former employee of the Faulkner & Colony Mill, a woman who used to write poetry on her lunch breaks sitting out in the park.


History of Ashuelot - History

Julia Ball Thayer was born about 1836 in Winchester, New Hampshire to David Ball and Fanny Capron (IGI). She shows in the Winchester 1850 census as a 14 year old in the home of her father, David, a merchant, age 46 and her mother, age 44. Delos, 19, a clerk, and Jane, 11, show in the household. A Lucy Ball, age 40, shows in the household, likely a relative to David. Several workers reside in the home, probably employees of David. She shows as Julia B. Ball in the 1860 census at age 24, a teacher of music, in the household of David and Fanny Ball, who are now reported as age 59 and 54, respectively. Jane E. Ball. 21, is also in the household.

In the 1870 census for Winchester, she is listed as Julia A. Ball, age 34, a music teacher, with Jennie E. Ball, 31, keeping house.

By the 1880 census she has married and has moved to Keene: 1880 census Ward 5 Keene, Cheshire, NH Home on Main Street. Edward C. Thayer 47 Manufacturer b Mass Parents both born Mass. Julia B Thayer 45 Keeping House b NH Parents both born NH. Delos, Jennie, and a son of Delos also are in the household.

In the 1900 census for Ward 5, Keene, Julia B. Thayer shows as the head of household, age 65, with her brother, Delos, aged 68, and sister, Jane E., aged 61, living with her.

Mr. Edward Carrington Thayer was born in Uxbridge, Worcester County, Massachusetts May 10,1828 to Joseph and Chloe Taft Thayer who had been married in Uxbridge Sept 3, 1818 (Uxbridge Vital Records to the year 1850). Edward was one of at least 6 children (IGI). Joseph was a well-to-do farmer and attorney.

Edward shows in the 1850 and 1860 Uxbridge censuses in his parent’s household and lived in Uxbridge at least as late as the 1870 census. In the 1870 census Joseph shows a net worth of $100,000 and Edward as a farmer in his father’s household. After the 1870 census Edward apparently moved to Keene, N.H.

Mr Thayer served on the city council of Keene from Ward 5 in 1876 and 1877 and as Ward 5 Alderman in 1878 (Anon., 1886) In 1885 Edward Thayer was treasurer of The Ashuelot Manufacturing Co., incorporated 1878, which manufactured Union and Moscow beavers. About 250 hands operated the 12 sets of woolen cards. The mill, located on the Ashuelot River, was 3 stories high and 200 feet long with several out buildings.

He served as president of a savings bank, The Cheshire Provident Institution (est 1833) in Keene. He was a partner in Thayer and Turner’s Woolen Mills in Lower Ashuelot and Vice President of the Cheshire R.R. He was also president of the Winchester National Bank from 1876 through 1885 (Childs, 1885). Edward C. Thayer died July 4, 1898 in Keene at age 70 (Griffin, 1904).

The family was very generous to the city of Keene and many other places. In 1893, Edward Thayer gave the city of Uxbridge, Massachusetts, a building in his parents' honor to be a new home for the town library, then located in the Town Hall.

The Uxbridge native spent $33,500 on the Thayer Memorial Building: $28,000 for construction, $4,000 for its North Main Street parcel and $1,500 on furnishings from Boston's Paine Furniture Co., whose founders once lived in Uxbridge. (See http://www.uxbridgenow.com/townissues/townhall/Town%20Hall%20holds%20the%20ghosts12_7_2003.htm

Just before he died, Edward Thayer gave the city of Keene the Henry Colony House on West Street in May, 1898 for use as a public library and his widow and niece gave $5000 for the purchase of books. The offer to the city can be found at _http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/library/appendix.html_
(http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/library/appendix.html) .

The building was remodeled and dedicated in February, 1899 after Edward’s death (Griffin, 1904) The Piqua Memorial Hospital of Piqua, Miami County, Ohio, was built with the donation of Mrs. Edward C. Thayer in memory of her brother Delos C. Ball, a resident of that town from 1855-1870. The hospital was built at a cost of $20,000 and dedicated Nov 30, 1905. (Anonymous, 1919-1920)


History of Ashuelot - History

Konum: South of N.H. Route 119 in the Upper Village of Ashuelot on Bolton Road over the Ashuelot River in the Town of Winchester. Style of Bridge: Town lattice truss patented by Connecticut architect Ithiel Town in 1820 and 1835. Year of Construction: 1864 Original Cost: $4650 Structural Characteristics: The bridge is 169'0" long and made up of two spans of 77'0" and 77'3" in length. It has an overall width of 28'6" and has a maximum vertical clearance of 11'7". There are sidewalks on both sides of the bridge. The structure is currently posted for six tons. Maintained By: Town of Winchester World Guide Number: 29-03-02 New Hampshire Number: 1

Historical Remarks: The Ashuelot covered bridge is considered by local historians to be one of New Hampshire's most elaborate covered bridges. The original purpose of the bridge was to transport wood across the river for use by the Ashuelot Railroad. The railroad had a station in the village of Ashuelot. This structure has also been called the Village Bridge or Village Station Bridge. Some sources credit Nicholas Powers as the builder. The Ashuelot Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds
1994


Keene Genealogy (in Cheshire County, NH)

NOTE: Additional records that apply to Keene are also found through the Cheshire County and New Hampshire pages.

Keene Birth Records

New Hampshire, Birth Records, 1631-present New Hampshire Division of Vital Records Administration

Keene Cemetery Records

Greenlawn Cemetery Billion Graves

Monadnock View Cemetery Billion Graves

Woodland Cemetery Billion Graves

Keene Census Records

Amerika Birleşik Devletleri Federal Nüfus Sayımı, 1790-1940 Aile Arama

Keene Church Records

Keene City Directories

Keene (New Hampshire) city directories - 1877-1878 Genealogy Gophers

Keene 1993 City Directory Historic Map Works

Keene city directory : embracing a general directory of the citizens, a full business directory, the national state county and city governments for the years 1895-6 Internet Archive

Keene Death Records

New Hampshire, Death Records, 1654-present New Hampshire Division of Vital Records Administration

Keene Histories and Genealogies

A History of the Town of Keene : from 1732, when the township was granted by Massachusetts, to 1874, when it became a city Genealogy Gophers

A history of the town of Keene, from 1732, when the township was granted by Massachusetts, to 1874, when it became a city Genealogy Gophers

Keene Immigration Records

Keene Land Records

Keene Map Records

Keene 1853 Wall Map Historic Map Works

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Keene, Cheshire County, New Hampshire, February 1892 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Keene, Cheshire County, New Hampshire, October 1897 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Keene, Cheshire County, New Hampshire, September 1884 Library of Congress

Keene Marriage Records

New Hampshire, Marriage Records, 1652-present New Hampshire Division of Vital Records Administration

Keene Military Records

Keene Newspapers and Obituaries

Cheshire Advertiser 01/19/1792 to 12/06/1792 Genealogy Bank

Columbian Informer or Cheshire Journal 05/09/1793 to 04/21/1795 Genealogy Bank

Farmer's Museum 01/30/1829 to 12/29/1877 Genealogy Bank

Free Soil Palladium 08/22/1848 to 09/26/1848 Genealogy Bank

New Hampshire Sentinel 03/23/1799 to 12/30/1891 Genealogy Bank

New-Hampshire Recorder 08/21/1787 to 02/24/1791 Genealogy Bank

Rising Sun 08/11/1795 to 06/23/1798 Genealogy Bank

Offline Newspapers for Keene

ABD Gazete Rehberine göre, aşağıdaki gazeteler basılmıştır, bu nedenle kağıt veya mikrofilm kopyaları bulunabilir. Çevrimdışı gazetelerin nasıl bulunacağı hakkında daha fazla bilgi için Çevrimdışı Gazeteleri Bulma hakkındaki makalemize bakın.

American News. (Keene, N.H.) 1851-1855

Cheshire Advertiser. (Keene, N.H.) 1792-1790s

Cheshire County Republican and Farmers' Museum. (Keene, N.H.) 1834-1835

Cheshire Republican Keene Free Press. (Keene, N.H.) 1910-1914

Cheshire Republican and Farmer's Museum. (Keene, N.H.) 1836-1842

Cheshire Republican and Farmer. (Keene, N.H.) 1843-1852

Cheshire Republican. (Keene, N.H.) 1853-1910

Church Union. (Keene, N.H.) 1892-1890s

Columbian Informer, Or, Cheshire Journal. (Keene, N.H.) 1793-1795

Daily Tribune. (Keene, N.H.) 1889-1890

Granite State Journal. (Keene, N.H.) 1869-1909

Keene Evening Sentinel. (Keene, N.H.) 1890-1972

Keene Sentinel. (Keene, N.H.) 1972-Current

New England Observer. (Keene, N.H.) 1878-1889

New-Hampshire Recorder and the Weekly Advertiser. (Keene, N.H.) 1787-1791

Newhampshire Sentinel. (Keene, N.H.) 1799-1957

Non-Resistant. (Boston) 1839-1845

Norfolk Day Book. (Norfolk and Portsmouth Va.) 1868-1880

Observer. (Keene, N.H.) 1890-1893

Philanthropist. (Keene, N.H.) 1845-1848

Rising Sun. (Keene, N.H.) 1795-1798

Spirit of the Times. (Keene, N.H.) 1849-1850

Student. (Keene, N.H.) 1883-1880s

Keene Probate Records

New Hampshire, Cheshire County, Probate Estate Files, 1886-1900 Family Search

Keene School Records

Keene Tax Records

Bu sayfaya eklemeler veya düzeltmeler? Bize Ulaşın sayfamız aracılığıyla önerilerinizi bekliyoruz


New Hampshire’s Turnpike History

traversed by fast-moving gas-driven automobiles. Most forget that the first New Hampshire turnpike system was created through turnpike corporations which built 500 miles of toll roads, and more than 80 New Hampshire turnpikes during the years 1796-1830.

These turnpikes, built by private corporations, sold shares to the general public. The money raised was used to construct these toll roads. The actual term “turnpike” refers to a barrier built across the highway, to be opened only after the required tolls were paid. These tollgates were set up at every mile. A typical charge in the early days of NH, for a horse and rider, was one cent.

In the palmy days of the Turnpike fair,
With its toll-gates, and keepers ever there,
And latter days of the “New Road” to Weare–
Four daily, twelve passenger, six-horse Coaches,
Here, up and down, made pleasant approaches,
Foretold by the notes of the winding horn,
Cheerfully ahead on the breezes borne.
Old Wheat was first, of whom we will speak:
He drove to Boston, and back the same week!
Once, fording the swollen Souhegan, his team
Was carried away and lost in the stream.
A monstrous long nose his phiz did adorn–
They said “he blew it, instead of a horn
!”
— from poem, Fragrant Memories, by Edward D. Boylston, from book, “Colonial Amherst” by Emma P. Boylston Locke, 1916

NS First New Hampshire Turnpike, was incorporated in 1796, and was completed in 1801. It connected Portsmouth, New Hampshire’s only seaport, with the state capitol, Concord. It ran thirty-six miles from the Piscataqua Bridge in Durham through Lee, Barrington, Nottingham, Northwood, Epsom, Chichester, and Pembroke to the Federal Bridge over the Merrimack River in Concord NH. This ancient turnpike is much of the present Route 4. New Hampshire Historical Marker #181 commemorates this turnpike.

Second New Hampshire Turnpike, was chartered in 1799, and completed in 1801. This was the connecting route between Boston MA and Vermont. Some New Hampshire towns on this route include Unity, Francestown, Mont Vernon, and Amherst, among others. It stretched from Claremont and Cornish NH to to Amherst NH. Teams from a portion of central Vermont began to pass over this route, and instead of the older two-horse coach of Joseph Wheat, which made a weekly trip from Amherst to Boston and back without a change of horses, a line of four-horse coaches began to run tri-weekly from Windsor VT to Boston, returning on alternate days. Large droves of cattle and sheep went to market over the road, and the amount of freight in both directions soon became so large that six-horse teams were employed at all seasons of the year. Ox-teams grew out of use, and when the farmer, ignoring the professional teamster, still continued in winter to take his own produce to market, he used the double “pung” with steel shoes an inch thick. The town of Francestown NH once collected a toll of one cent per mile from traveling coaches and wagons. For nearly thirty years a vast amount of travel from Canada, Vermont and western New Hampshire passed over this road, and great quantities of merchandise were transported over it.

Third New Hampshire Turnpike, was incorporated in 1799, and was four rods wide, and fifty miles long. It was built from Walpole New Hampshire, through the towns of Keene Jaffrey, Marlborough, and Sharon, toward the Massachusetts line to Townsend. The building of this road was strongly opposed by the town of New Ipswich, who wished it to take a more southerly route. The contract for constructing it was taken by Col. Bellows of Walpole and others. It cost about $50,000, divided into shares of $200. A very small dividend was declared for a few years, but in 1813 the stock had depreciated so much that it sold for twelve dollars a share. About the year 1819 it was made a free road and adopted by the town. A toll house and gate stood on this road from 1803 and 1822, and is commemorated with New Hampshire historic marker #68.

Fourth NH Turnpike. 1800 ve 1830 arasındaki dönemde, Connecticut Nehri boyunca ulaşım, Lübnan'ı sahile bağlayan Dördüncü New Hampshire Turnpike'ın tamamlanması ve 1804'te Croydon Turnpike'ın dahil edilmesiyle desteklendiğinden, geçimlik tarım ticari tarıma dönüştürüldü. gıda ürünlerinin hızlı taşınmasını sağlar. The convergence of the rivers and these turnpikes in Lebanon, along with the White River Turnpike and the Hanover Branch Turnpike supported a number of inns and public houses in town along these well-traveled routes and provided an excellent location for industrial development. Enfield was one of the townships on this route.

The Branch Road and Bridge Company was incorporated June 16, 1802 and went from Keene, corner of Swanzey, Marlborough, to north line of Fitzwilliam, for a distance of 7 miles, 195 rods at a cost of $7,510.

The 5th N.H. turnpike appears to have been incorporated but not commenced.

The 6th N.H. turnpike, Road and Bridge Company was incorporated June 16, 1802 and went from Brattleborough VT bridge over Connecticut River, Hinsdale, Winchester, to Massachusetts line at Warwick – cost $16,000.

Proprietors Dover Turnpike Road was incorporated December 21, 1803–from Dover, Somersworth, to Berwick, Maine for a distance of 4-1/2 miles.

Coos Turnpike Road, was incorporated December 29, 1803 and extended from Haverhill through Piermont and Warren and to Baker’s River, near Merrill’s Mills for a distance of 12 miles and a cost of $15,074. ” Although Coos County had been given an outlet through the Crawford Notch by the Tenth New Hampshire turnpike, the old road down the Connecticut Valley still held its place on account of the ties which bound the Coos settlers to the lower valley towns from which many of them had originally come and the Coos turnpike was held with enthusiasm. This turnpike was completed two years after its charter was granted and was for more than a generation the great thoroughfare in northern New Hampshire and made Haverhill during these years the liveliest town north of Concord. This turnpike was the predecessor of the White Mountain Division of the Boston & Main Railroad and it was operated until nearly the opening of the railroad. It was a common occurrence for the natives of Coos County to drive their cattle and turkeys to market over this highway. It is recorded that there was at one time a flock of five hundred turkeys driven from St. Johnsbury to Lowell over this road. The custodian of the flock found that he had a gobbler of such dignity that he could lead the way and that all the flock would follow, so in this manner he led his procession at a rate of twenty-three miles a day until its destination was reached without the loss of a single bird.” [section in quotations from White Mountain Echo, Bethlehem NH, 2 August 1924].

Orford Turnpike Road was incorporated December 27, 1803.

Tenth NH Turnpike. On December 28, 1803, a turnpike, the tenth in New Hampshire, was incorporated and shortly afterward there was constructed through the Notch at an expense of $40,000 for twenty miles, the money being raised by lottery. It occupied to some extend the site of the old road, and became one of the best-paying turnpikes in the northern part of the state. A Dr. Shattuck, of Boston, in his account, published in the Philadelphia Medical and Physical Journal of 1808, writes of his excursion to the “White Hills” of New Hampshire the previous year, stating “a turnpike-road is now [August 1807] building from Bath, through the Notch, to Portland.”

The Charlestown Turnpike Road was incorporated on December 27, 1803 from Charlestown, Acworth to the Second NH Turnpike in Lempster for a distance of 12 miles.

The Mayhew Turnpike Road was incorporated on December 29, 1803, from New Chester, Bristol, Hebron, corner of Plymouth, toward Haverhill, for a distance of 17 miles.

The Chester Turnpike Road was incorporated on June 12, 1804 and extended from Pembroke through Allenstown, Candia, to Chester, for a distance of 14 miles.

The Londonderry Turnpike Road was incorporated June 1804 from Concord, Bow, Hooksett, Chester, Londonderry, corner of Windham Salem, to line of Massachusetts, a distance of 35 miles.

Grafton Turnpike Road was incorporated June 21, 1804 from Orford, Lime, corner of Hanover, Canaan, Orange, Grafton, Danbury, New-Chester to the Fourth NH Turnpike on Andover, a distance of 35 miles.

The Jefferson Turnpike Road, incorporated December 11, 1804, from Lancaster, Jefferson, Bretton-Woods, to the Tenth NH Turnpike, a distance of 14 miles, at a cost of $18,400.

The Croydon Turnpike Road, incorporated June 21, 1804 from Lebanon, corner of Plainfield, Grantham, Croydon, Newport, Lempster, to Second NH Turnpike in Washington, a distance of 34 miles, at an expense of $35,948.

The Cheshire Turnpike Road, was incorporated December 13, 1804, from Charlestown, Langdon, part of Walpole, Alstead, Surry to Third NH Turnpike in Keene, a distance of 24 miles at a cost of $19,610.

The Ashuelot Turnpike Road, was incorporated June 18, 1807, from the Sixth NH Turnpike in Winchester, Richmond, Fitzwilliam Village, a distance of 15 miles.

Rindge Turnpike Road was incorporated June 12, 1807, from Branch Turnpike in Fitzwilliam, through Rindge, to line of Massachusetts, at corner of New-Ipswich, a distance of 4 miles.

The Cornish Turnpike Road, was incorporated December 23, 1808, from Cornish Bridge to Croydon Turnpike in Newport for a distance of 11 miles.

The Hampton Causeway Turnpike Corporation was incorporated December 23, 1808 in Hampton, a distance of 1-3/4 miles at a cost of $14,173.66.

The Fitzwilliam Village Turnpike Road was incorporated December 9, 1809 from the village in Fitzwilliam to the line of Massachusetts, a distance of 4-1/2 miles.

Londonderry Branch Turnpike Road, went from Hooksett, Bow, to Hopkinton, a distance of 11 miles.

The Sanbornton Turnpike Road, from Sanbornton to New Hampton for a distance of 10 miles.

The loftiest turnpike of New England is the Mount Washington Summit Road. The charter to this company was granted in 1853 with the privilege to build a turnpike from Peabody River Valley over the top of Mount Washington to a point between the Notch and Cherry Mountain. The summit was made accessible to carriages in August 1861. Under the franchise of 1859 the carriage road up Mt. Washington is in operation and in 1924 tolls were still collected from those passing over it. [White Mountain Echo, Bethlehem NH, 2 August 1924]

The last turnpike charter in New England was granted by the New Hampshire Legislature of 1893 to the Mount Prospect Hotel Company which was incorporated and intended to construct a road from Lancaster to Whitefield with a side road to the summit of Mount Prospect which was then the summer home of Secretary of War, John Weeks. However, nothing was ever done under this charter and the road up the mountain today is the private venture of Mr. Weeks. [White Mountain Echo, Bethlehem NH, 2 August 1924].

The temporary death of the toll road.
Eventually other and easier roads to market were constructed, the railroad was introduced, and although New Hampshire’s toll roads were still used, most of them became “free” roads owned by their respective townships. New Hampshire roads remained maintained this way until the advent and frequent use of motorized vehicles–automobiles. Toll-roads again became popular in the 1960s.

President Eisenhower signed the Federal Highway Act in 1956, which created today’s Interstate Highway system. East-west interstate route numbers end in an even number. North-south routes end in an odd number. This resulted of the building of Interstates 93 and 293, F.E. Everett Turnpike, NH Routes 101, 3 and 3A in New Hampshire. When I was growing up in Manchester, New Hampshire, when Interstate 293 was being built, we called it the “Beltway.”

Probably one of the most well known turnpikes in New Hampshire, that is named after a New Hampshire resident, is the “F.E. Everett Turnpike,” or the “Everett Turnpike” for short. I went through most of my life driving over that piece of road, not knowing how it received its name. It was named after Frederic Elwin Everett. the first NH State Highway commissioner. (see his family tree below)

FOR A MORE COMPLETE LISTING OF THE NEW HAMPSHIRE TURNPIKE SYSTEM SEE: –The Turnpikes of New England: History of the NH Turnpike (Google Books)

* Family Tree of Frederick Elwin Everett *

Photograph of Frederick Everett, from The Granite Monthly, Vol 56, No. 2, February 1924


Ashuelot River Headwaters Forest

Both Silver and Bean Mountains are within eyeshot of Mounts Monadnock, Sunapee, and Kearsarge – three iconic New Hampshire summits that the Forest Society worked to conserve. However, unlike these popular neighbors, the peaks of the Ashuelot River headwaters remain comparatively undiscovered by hiking crowds.

Silver Mountain

Directly north of Sand Pond, Silver Mountain has been hiked by the area’s year-round and summer residents for more than a century. The trail up the mountain climbs, sometimes steeply, through pines and hemlocks. Approaching the top, it opens up to blueberry bushes covering the flat height of land, mixing with long grass, granite, and a handful of stunted trees.

The most dramatic views are westward, overlooking the village of Lempster and the hills and hollows, farms and forests, and white Meetinghouse steeple of Acworth. Across the Connecticut River Valley, the distant peaks of Mount Ascutney and Vermont’s Green Mountains rise in the distance.

With barely a structure in sight, the rolling green landscape undulates northwest to Mt. Moosilaukee and Cardigan and south to the Wapack Range and Mount Monadnock. On a clear day, the Berkshires in Massachusetts are also visible. A short walk across rocky outcrops brings visitors to a good vantage point of Lovewell Mountain to the east and Mount Sunapee in the north.

This comparatively short trail to the top is frequented by the locals, who appreciate Silver Mountain’s blueberries, views, and the perspective that those views afford – being about to see the world from a vantage point accessible to only a few.

Bean Mountain

Bean Mountain remains the wilder of the two tracts that make up the Ashuelot River Headwaters Forest. As the source of the Ashuelot River, it includes more than 11,000 feet of frontage along the river, which supplies drinking water to the City of Keene and other downstream communities. The river and its many tributaries flow downhill through the spruce-fir and northern hardwood forests that give the land its northern “highlands” character, setting it apart from the hemlock-beech-oak-pine forests that make up most of the Ashuelot watershed.

The topography of the landscape varies dramatically, from summit of Bean Mountain to a high quality emergent marsh-shrub swamp, providing important habitat for a range of wildlife that include moose, deer, bear, songbirds, fisher, and bobcat, as well as river species such as native brook trout, mink, otter, waterfowl, and numerous reptiles and amphibians. Its rich wildlife resources have made the Ashuelot River Headwaters a conservation priority in several natural resource plans, including the bi-state Quabbin-to-Cardigan Conservation Plan, the NH Fish and Game Department’s Wildlife Action Plan, and the regional Ashuelot River Land Conservation Plan.

The land is part of a 10,000-acre block of forest that forms a critical link between two of the largest blocks of connected forest south of the White Mountains: the 25,000-acre Pillsbury-Sunapee Highlights, and the 11,000-acre Andorra Forest. The Bean Mountain Tract creates a bridge between Pillsbury State Park to the northeast and the Long Pond Town Forest to the southwest, building a large corridor of conserved, connected open space that allows individual creatures to continue to move between populations. Without this connectivity, the exchanges that ensure the long-term survival of species are choked off. Human activities, including road use and development, threaten to permanently separate animal populations.


Videoyu izle: Ortaçağda Bir İlimler Akademisi: Beytül-Hikme - İslamın Altın Çağı